"uu_irsage.dll" problem with S3 suspend

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

"uu_irsage.dll" problem with S3 suspend

Postby DFA » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:57 pm

Hi Jon:

I have for some time been trying to resolve a problem with Sage crashing when cycling through S3 suspend states. It will happen when Sage stays asleep in the tray which is exactly the case when Sage wakes the system for a scheduled recording and then re-suspends the system. Sage crashes at the time of returning to the system to the suspend state. Only one scheduled recording will be made.

I have just now finally isolated the problem to the "uu_irsage.dll" plugin. If I remove the use of the plugin from the "sage.properties" file, Sage does not crash anymore with many suspend / resume cycles while all the time asleep in the tray. The problem returns as soon as activating the "uu_irsage.dll" plugin.

I am using version 1.0.0.1 of "uu_irsage.dll". Is there a later version I am unaware of?

Please reference this thread in the Frey forum for further detail: <http://forums.freytechnologies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9569>.

I am going out of country for a couple of weeks this Friday and was hoping to have HTPC power saving mode working for my better half before going.

Appreciate anything you can do on this subject. I prefer the use of the "uu_irsage.dll" plugin to that of the "tuner" plugin.

Thanks very much,

Dane Anderson
DFA

Postby DFA » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:07 pm

Jon:

PS: Girder also uses USB-UIRT for blasting. In earlier attempts to isolate the source of the trouble, I had disabled the Girder USB-UIRT plugin, but that made no difference. Just thought I would mention that for more overview.

Dane
DFA

Postby jrhees » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:57 am

DFA,

Do you use only the USB-UIRT transmit feature with Sage, or are you also using the USB-UIRT's receive feature to navigate Sage with a remote via the USB-UIRT?

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:20 am

Jon:

Sage only uses the USB-UIRT for blasting and uses it directly via "uu_irsage.dll". Channel change commands are first received by a built in IRMan which are received by Girder. Girder then uses Send/Postmessage commands to deliver the channel change info to Sage. Sage in turn forwards the channel change to the STB via the USB-UIRT (uu_irsage.dll). I have been running with this configuration since Sage 1.4. It is only since Sage release 2.1 that I have been trying to take advantage of the new, native built in power save feature in Sage. Apparently those that use the "EXETuner" plugin or some other plugin other than the "uu_irsage.dll" are not having issues. Hence, not considered a general problem with Sage from Frey's perspective.

The Girder plugin for the USB-UIRT is active. Girder also uses the UIRT for transimitting things like turning the TV off at 2:00AM automatically. I had deactivated the Girder plugin to see if it had any effect on the problem and it did not.

Note that the Sage crash event occurs when the PC is in the process of returning to the suspend state. This is confirmed by virtue of the scheduled recording being completed and the date/time of the error log generated by Sage. No channel change thngs are going on at that time that I am aware. Note also that Sage must remain asleep in the tray for the entire suspend / resume cycle for the problem to occur. If Sage is brought full screen and then put to sleep again and then the PC returned to suspend, the crash does not occur.

Some time back, I filed a bug report with Frey about all this but I had not yet narrowed it down to having something to do with the "uu_irsage.dll" plugin. Frey was unable to duplicate but now sure they did not have the "uu_irsage.dll" plugin in the mix. I have updated George Oms of Frey about my most recent findings and how to duplicate. Hopefully, they are looking at it from their side of the fence to see if has anything to do with the way Sage is handling the plugin.

Something going on here but appreciate that it may not be evident or easy to identify.

Thanks again Jon.

Regards,
Dane Anderson

Postby DFA » Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:25 pm

Jon:

A bit more information:

The problem does not occur for an S1 suspend level. I do not know for an S4 suspend level (suspend to disk).

For testing purposes, it is not necessary for Sage to record anything or for Sage to be the one initiating the suspend / resume events.

Simply put Sage asleep in the tray recording nothing and suspend the system using OS "Start\Shutdown\Standby". Resume the system by front panel switch, KB command, USB-UIRT; by whatever means available. Assuming Sage was open, the first go round, leave Sage undisturbed asleep in the tray and now suspend and resume again. After the second cycle while Sage remained asleep in the tray, you will see the Sage icon in the tray but as soon as you pass the mouse pointer over it, it will disappear since Sage is actually dead.

In order to duplicate the problem, Sage must be asleep in the tray at least once from the resume point to the next suspend point. The "uu_irsage.dll" plugin must be assingned to an actual and configured encoder (in my case it is a PVR-250). For my system, Sage also recognizes an ATI Rage capture device and has all the "stuff" for it in the "properties" file but it is not configured for use. If I manually assign the plugin for the ATI device, the problem does not occur. I do know if that means anything except that in order to duplicate the problem, everything must be "there" and working including an IR file. I can't say if it necessarily needs to be a PVR-250 encoder but may or may not have anything to do with it. I have not drilled down any deeper other than knowing Sage and "uu_irsage.dll" are not playing nice together for S3 suspend. I have found the problem to exist for Sage revisions 2.1.10 and forwards.

Regards,
Dane
DFA

Postby jrhees » Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:29 pm

DFA,

Thanks. The reason I ask is because Sage *can* also use the receive feature of the USB-UIRT (Girder not needed), but the fact that you're not using that feature makes it easier to rule out the problem.

Frey wrote the receive plugin (built into Sage), and I wrote the transmit plugin (uu_irsage.dll). So, the ball's in my court, so to speak.

I will have to get updated to Sage 2.1 to look into this, I believe.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby DFA » Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:54 pm

Thanks Jon.

Just to add to everything, in the course of the last few months, I went through a rather concerted and lengthy effort of "process of elimination".

I have other USB things such as 6-in-1 card reader, Matrix Orbital USB VFD, Gyration KB and Mouse, USB-to-serial converter. I have disabled all these things except the KB and mouse since I have no other optional input device and difficult to get to the back of my HTPC as installed. Through device manager, I also disabled a lot of other things such as XCard and such. I did not find anything that seemed to interact with the problem. In fact, I was out of ideas and things to try until it occured to me to back out the "uu_irsage.dll" plugin. It has worked well otherwise and and is transparent / invisible and easy to forget it is there.

Current version of Sage is 2.2.6 RC which was released yesterday. I am at 2.2.5 RC.

Dane
DFA

Postby DFA » Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:49 pm

Hi Jon:

Have you had any chance to take a look at this issue?

I am anxious to achieve full S3 suspend operation with Sage and hope this is something that can be resolved.

Best Regards,
Dane
DFA

Postby jrhees » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:51 am

Sorry, I have been waiting for some responses from Frey. I will pester them some more tomorrow.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:06 am

OK. Standing by.

Dane

Postby DFA » Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:10 pm

Hi Jon:

Good news to report. With the release of Sage 2.2.7, the S3 suspend issue with "uu_irsage.dll" is now resolved.

As I mentioned before, I simultaneously advised (updated) Frey of the problem along with yourself since not knowing on which side of the fence the problem was rooted. Apparently it was a Sage-side issue.

Thanks so much for your time in looking at from USB-UIRT side.

Regards,
Dane Anderson
DFA

Return to Troubleshooting